Saturday, August 14, 2010

Don't just think about it, Do it!

After lots and lots of contemplation I have made a decision to jump in and start a blog about my passion, which also forms my career. I'm a Speech and Language therapist (also known as a Speech Pathologist in some countries), working in private practice. I'm quite a newbie in the field, as this is my first year practising, but I've learnt a lot thus far. There aren't many speech therapists in my country, one working in government, and the remaining 4 or so in private practice catering to a population of approximately 275,000. Needless to say I have a pretty hectic caseload with a range of communicative needs. I work with both paediatric and adult populations with speech, language, social communication voice, fluency, and feeding disorders and my settings range from clinic, hospitals, and house/school visits. I'm also the in-house therapist at one primary school, so yes it gets quite busy.

Although I cover all areas of the field I've developed some favourite areas. These are :

  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder
  • Down Syndrome
  • Aural Rehabilitation for children with cochlear implants
  • Cleft Palate
  • Acquired Neurogenic Comminication Disorders (aphasia, dysarthria etc)

These will probably be the primary topics for my blog, along with other aspects of communication development. I hope to share information and resources which I have found, tips from other professionals, as well as my own experiences and ideas on this site.

Read, enjoy, and learn. I hope that readers can also share their experiences with me. So here we go.

1 comment: